On Mit, 2003-02-19 at 12:15, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
> >       * whether page flipping (Option "EnablePageFlip", only in 4.2.99.x
> >         or later) is enabled (page flipping is faster)
>
> yes, this is it, it gives the missing 20% performance.
>
> but KNOPPIX doesnt have it in its XF config file......

Yes, 4.2.1 didn't support page flipping yet. I have no idea why it would
be so fast. :)

> The important problem is now the sleep mode. Either it hangs or only the
> display doesnt come back. With the KNOPPIX it was not working either, I
> had to compile it in the kernel. Then it was working perfect. I
> installed your packages and it doesnt work anymore.
>
> 1) any ideas how to fix it?

It was probably luck that it ever worked in the first place. Apart from
the workarounds someone else mentioned, you could try Option "DRIReinit"
with xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk or Charl P. Botha's DRI resume patch.

(Also make sure that /dev/apm_bios works so the X server log contains
lines like

(II) Open APM successful

)

> 2) still: what was I doing wrong with standard xfree. then I go back to it.

I don't understand what you mean here.

> 3) how do I go back. is it safe to remove the packages?

Yes,

apt-get install xlibmesa3-gl xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk-

should get you back where you were before.

PS: About GL_POINT_SIZE, AFAIR the driver simply doesn't support that
(check the dri-devel archives).