> It was probably luck that it ever worked in the first place. Apart from
> the workarounds someone else mentioned, you could try Option "DRIReinit"
> with xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk or Charl P. Botha's DRI resume patch.

well, it was working at the first shot, compiled in the kernel support
for APM as suggested by many on the net...

> (Also make sure that /dev/apm_bios works so the X server log contains
> lines like
>
> (II) Open APM successful

yes, I checked. It is OK.

> > 2) still: what was I doing wrong with standard xfree. then I go back to it.
>
> I don't understand what you mean here.

Why wasnt my OpenGL working with my debian with 4.2.1, while it was
working on the same machine with knoppixCD 4.2.1. If I know what the
problem was I want to go back to 4.2.1 and have APM working.

> you could try Option "DRIReinit"

I did. No improvement.

> PS: About GL_POINT_SIZE, AFAIR the driver simply doesn't support that
> (check the dri-devel archives).

pitty, but not disaster.

So my conclusion for now is: it is the display that doesnt work (see the
other email). I dont even have to suspend, the display doesnt come back
simply after switching off the screen.

bye
Dominik

--