On 04/16/10 09:53 PM, Brandon High wrote:

Right now, my boot environments are named after the build it's
running. I'm guessing that by 'rpool' you mean the current BE above.

No, I didn't :-(. Please ignore that part - too much caffeine :-).

I figure that by booting to a live cd / live usb, the pool will not be
in use, so there shouldn't be any special steps involved.

Might be the easiest way. But I've never found having a different
name for the root pool to be a problem. The lack, until recently, of
a bootable CD for SPARC may have something to do with living
with different names. Makes it easier to recv snapshots from
different hosts and architectures, too.

I'll try out a few variations on a VM and see how it goes.

You'll need to do the zfs create with legacy mount option, and
set the bootfs property. Otherwise it looks like you are on the
right path.

Cheers -- Frank