On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Brandon High <bh...@freaks.com> wrote:
> When I set up my opensolaris system at home, I just grabbed a 160 GB
> drive that I had sitting around to use for the rpool.

Just to follow up, after testing in Virtualbox, my initial plan is
very close to what worked. This is what I did:

1. Shutdown the system and attach the new drives.
2. Reboot from LiveCD or USB installer.
3. Run 'format' to set up the new drive(s).
4. zpool create -f -R /mnt/rpool_new rpool_new ${NEWDRIVE_DEV}s0
5. zpool import -o ro -R /mnt/rpool_old -f rpool
6. zfs send all datasets from rpool to rpool_new
7. installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2
/dev/rdsk/${NEWDRIVE_DEV}s0 on the ssd
8. zfs mount rpool_new/ROOT/snv_133 and delete
/mnt/rpool_new/etc/zfs/zpool.cache
9. zfs export the rpool and rpool_new
10. 'zpool import -R /mnt/rpool new_rpool rpool' to rename the pool.
(Not needed except to be OCD)
11. 'zpool export rpool'
12. Disconnect the original drive and boot from your new root.

After that, it just worked. I tested it again with a physical box that
boots off of USB thumb drives as well. The only caveat with that is
you must use 'format -e' to partition the thumb drives. Oh, and wait a
LONG time, because most flash drives are really, really slow.

You could also do this from a non-LiveCD environment, but the name
rpool may already be in use.

If you move the new drive to the original's port, you don't need to
delete the zpool.cache. It would be nice if there was a boot flag you
could use to ignore the zpool.cache so you don't have to boot into
another environment when the device moves.

Another benefit of doing the above is that you can enable compression
and dedup on the rpool prior to the send, which gives you creamy
compressed dedup goodness on your entire rpool. No matter how
tempting, don't use gzip-9 compression. I learned the hard way that
grub doesn't support it.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com