I have certainly moved a root pool from one disk to another, with the
same basic process, ie:

 - fuss with fdisk and SMI labels (sigh)
 - zpool create
 - snapshot, send and recv
 - installgrub
 - swap disks

I looked over the "root pool recovery" section in the Best Practices guide
at the time, it has details of all these steps.

In my case, it was to move to a larger disk (in my laptop) rather than
a smaller, but as long as it all fits it won't matter.

(I did it this way, instead of by attach and detach of mirror, in
order to go through dedup and upgrade checksums, and also to get
comfort with the process for some time when I'm really doing a
recovery.)

--
Dan.