On Apr 19, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Brandon High wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Brandon High <bh...@freaks.com> wrote:
>> I think I remember someone posting a method to copy the boot drive's layout
>> with prtvtoc and fmthard, but I don't remember the exact syntax.
>
> Apparently Google and the man pages know the answer.
>
> prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c5t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c6t0d0s2
>
> With drives of different sizes, I expect I may need to change the
> input to fmthard though. There's also a note in the man page: "On x86
> systems, fdisk(1M) must be run on the drive before fmthard."

IMHO, this is a virus. It is a lazy way for you to copy a vtoc to another
disk.  If the other disk is of a different size (as in sectors), then you've
wasted either your time or your disk space.  A better idea is to learn
how to use the format(1m) command to manage your disk partitions
and slices.
 -- richard

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
ZFS training on deduplication, NexentaStor, and NAS performance
Las Vegas, April 29-30, 2010 http://nexenta-vegas.eventbrite.com