>i myself found derrick may's set dissappointing.  Now i have only seen him 3
>times but i have never real been impressed (except for a solar night).  Granted
>he did play excellent tracks

>His set was good but i lacked to dj skills of a so called pioneer.  I
>dont really think a really even mixed many records, lots of cuts and fades, and
>why dont you listen people before you maybe Rolando, kevin, and derrick were
>sharing the same records.  This by far is not a diss for derrick but a voiced
>dissapointement again, maybe its just me.  I also found the poet at the end
>excellent and meaning fulling but i found the drum guy to be offbeat and just
>plain annoying after a while how long can you proceed with the same beat, i
>think he even had to start the record over again did'nt he.

I have been thinking about this, and trying to work out why it makes me sad.

The thing is with a DJ's set, it's not really supposed to be broken down
into its elements like that. I can never understand why people dissect a set
into tracks, and technical tricks, and that's it. It's valid, sure, I just
don't get that myself. Maybe you're analysing it too much, breaking it down,
so you're doomed to find faults with it, in a sense. The thing is you're
deconstructing it when the DJ has put all this energy into creating an
illusion, an experience, a vibe. It's like looking at a beautiful woman and
trying to identify her flaws.

You could try and suspend that critical voice and just see if the DJ moves
you - it's supposed to be a spiritual thing as much as an an intellectual
one, after all - but if you're over critical than that intuitive response
doesn't stand much of a chance. If the DJ still doesn't move you, then, OK,
it ain't happening.

People say that Hawtin is technically superior to Mills but I would take
Mills anyday just because he has that jouissance. Technique isn't
everything.

Maybe this is the voice of a self-confessed failed trainspotter (I can never
pick tracks out of context). Just an idea anyway.