On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Denise Dalphond <denisedalph...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "Have any of you ever attended those electronic music events events with
> *exclusively* female artists?
>
> I have.  And in a lot of cases it seemed really awkward -- like the reason
> they were selected as performers was due to their sex/gender over their
> accomplishments as a performer/musician.  (To say nothing of the male
> patrons weirdly 'gawking' over them, which is also super creepy.  A
> separate issue unto itself.)"
>
> You are failing to view those events through the lens of a girl or woman.
> It is often empowering.

How presumptuous of you?

I went to a number of those events and the other (female) attendees I was
with were the ones who observed it first.  I have been to some that were
frankly quite objectifying.

> And your taste in music does not match someone else's taste.

No shit it doesn't, we're on a list called "313" which itself is about as
marginal as it gets.

> I can imagine a young girl or young woman looking up at the stage, reading
> the lineup, researching the female artists she liked; that experience is
> life changing in a sexist world.
>
> A roll call is fine. To what end: in order to learn about more artists who
> are women because patriarchy makes them harder to come by.

I still think it is poor form to not explain what makes them relevant or
interesting.  It is already hard enough to talk about music with words, let
alone to not use any.

Moreover I don't think I understand the substance of your point about as to
why the "patriarchy makes them harder to come by."

I think it is hard to get recognized as a musician or producer no matter
*who* you are or *what* your background is.