JT, it's so simple...  You're wrong.  JUST KIDDING!!  If everyone liked
the same stuff the world would be as boring as a 7 hour John Aquaviva DJ
set... ok whatever but you know what I mean.  ;)

Disclaimer: this is not an attempt to get you to like it (a pointless
exercise to anyone for any reason) but more of the reasons why I see
merit in this .. and others of his records.

I like Amp Fiddler because it's not techno or house but it has the
elements of detroit sound that I like to hear in other music I listen
to.  It's funny you use jazz as a reference cause that's the last thing
I would have likened it too.  I like the songwriting.  I would classify
it as 'r&b' or 'soul' before I would think of it as jazz, but wherever
you come from is how you relate and describe things so whatever, that's
pretty moot point anyway.  I also know very little about jazz compared
to most, so maybe I don't have the same distaste as a more typical jazz
head might.

I also think when you take a mouthful of something and spit it out
immediately (judging from your reaction that seemed to be the case?) You
might have written it off wholesale without looking a little further.  I
like Freakin, reminds me of a cut you'd hear coming out of someone's
trunk at a BBQ in the summer, recalls a Fatback or SOS Band vibe almost.

I like the lyrics to "love and war"... didn't hear any scat myself.

The keys playing I find interesting, moreso than the rhythms... the
piano keys in 'love and war' I think are great and moody.  Did you
listen to the electronic synth parts in "freakin'" ?  Crazy analogue
sounds and squiggles and synth farts, etc. It's just a fresh little
summer jammy jam, I don't see anything generic in it.. the solo is nuts!
Or if nothing else, fun and groovin.. not a whole lot else to think for
me.  I agree the KDJ version was a bit of a let-down.. if you want
better examples of that check the Mahogani or KDJ collaborations (DOH -
too late you bought this one!)  ;)

Maybe the expectations where too weird but I also don't think that much
about it, I liked the grooves, a summertime kind of sound and the man
has a lot of talent on the keys and I like the sound of his voice myself
too.

The beats I think could be better compared to other elements of his
productions, but we'll see what happens in the future...   Maybe Amp
just needs some $tinkworx beats to liven it up!!

PS - I love Detroit Experiment as one of the "whole greater than the sum
of the parts" thing, each track is a little different and the crazy
influences do come out individually AND collectively (to me).  Midnight
at Twenty Grand!!

It seems to be the trendy thing now with a lot of techno heads to
dislike where Carl is going on the jazz collective tip and I'm not havin
it... music needs to expand, the detroit sound is way to wide to stay
pegged in a single genre.  I'm glad people are going for it.

Peace,
Matt MacQueen

PS - Speaking of... Now I gotta go drive to Dusty Groove and pick up the
new Dwele LP:

>From DustyGroove.com -
sparkling debut from Detroit's Dwele -- a sweet vocalist in the Donny
Hathaway tradition, but with a tight, beat heavy soul sound that glides
between 70s soul jazz, mellowed-out Jay Dee synth hop groove, and the
natural soul vibe ?uestlove brings to his productions! We first caught
wind of Dwele on Slum Village's "Tainted" single, and that's a good
indication of the sound you'll find on the debut. Mellow, trippy keys
and sound washes drench the album from beginning-to-end, with Dwele's
often deeply layered vocals weighing the bright, modern groove aspects
of the sound with a rich sense of soul history. There's a slight 70s
soul jazz vibe, too, in spots -- a sophisticated studio groove with
bright bass and some sunny, soulfully strummed electric guitar. Dwele
finds some truly nice middle ground between the natural soul scene,
modern groove, and the mellower beats and grooves of the best Detroit
hip hop of recent years -- a scene that Dwele indeed was a player in
before finding his soul muse. Great stuff -- similar enough to some of
his contemporaries -- but still wholly unique in Dwele's embrace of a
bright, sunny, polished sound that still manages to maintain naturally
soulful grit and grease! The title track is a classic -- crackly,
thumping beats, sweetly chiming keys, and capital M Moody vocals -- and
many others are nearly as strong! Includes "Hold On", "Find A Way", "Day
At A Time", "Kick Out Of You", "Sho Ya Right", "Lady Mahogany", Money
Don't Mean A Thing", and more. 10 tracks on the LP.