I have to say, when I used Final Scratch for the first time a
couple of weeks ago (and bear in mind that I'm a bit of an
Ableton fanatic generally!) I could see definite advantages to
it.

First off, the sight of a DJ bringing tracks in and out by
spinning discs around on turntables is a bit more engaging to
watch than someone who's just mucking around behind a laptop
screen. When I last played out with Ableton, I used decks as
well mainly for that reason.

Second off, the *sound* of a DJ bringing tracks in and out by
spinning discs around on turntables is also something that is
quite important to crowds sometimes. Nudging a track slightly
to keep it in time, getting that nice phasing effect of two
similar kick drums coming into sync with one another - you
really have to go out of your way to do that with Ableton
(I've done it, and it does feel quite weird to be going to
such lengths to deliberately build in imperfection).

However, in the longer run I reckon things like Ableton will
prevail. Final Scratch is just like normal DJing, but with a
broader selection of tracks and less chance of a hernia; while
Ableton isn't really like normal DJing at all if done properly
(see reports of Surgeon's set on Saturday), it's something else
altogether.

Anyway, I reckon that any DJ trying to kit themselves out for
the future should remain flexible and not get tied down into
using just one tool.

Brendan