I assume you're doing bridge mode? Use RADIUS to assign the SM's management IP. Then DHCP + Op 82 is used for the customer equipment.

We just do static management IP on the SMs. Playing with NAT + DMZ on the customer side. Traceroute and other ICMP responses don't work through NAT mode, even with DMZ. And L2TP tunnels. I forget what else I tested on my SM at home. So far I'm not too thrilled with it.