Interesting question you raise there, Matt (vs :) YKY

How many of us would be prepared to work FULL-TIME on AGI:
(0) If a department of defense/military organisation paid you develop a
secret AGI for national defense/intelligence purpose?
(1) If a Microsoft, Google, Sun or IBM came along and hired you
full-time to work on either
  (1a) Open-Source; or
  (1b) Proprietary AGI?
(2) A more 'friendly' research group came along (e.g. University,
government agency) to pay you fulltime
  (2a) on *their* design/architecture or
  (2b) on YOUR design but having to share your findings with the larger
community (shared credit)?
(3) If you had sufficient funds of your own?

Re (3) I have often wondered how much time one could really spend
continuously on working on AGI - refer to the Princeton Instititue of
Advanced Studies where established geniuses (such as Einstein) were/are
paid to devote fulltime efforts to thinking but actually not many
earthshaking ideas have come out of it. Don't we need a lot of 'time
wasted' on trivia such as a real job, leaking plumbing and family in
order to have these 1 or 2 hours of creative thinking/work each day?
Would it help to have consolidated 8 hour or longer blocks each day? Do
people like Ben, Leitz and Peter (Voss) really have so much time to
think creatively/design or is my suspicion right that a lot of their
(your :) time is spent on fundraising, PR, communication, management?
The grass always seems greener on the other side...

Jean-Paul

>>> Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2007/05/07 03:47:28 >>>
> I think we should not go FOSS just because we arn't confident of
ourselves,
> or to try to avoid competition.  We love our work and should go the
extra
> miles to make it profitable.  Those who're not interested in
business
> matters can leave that to somebody else in the group.
The problem with closed source is you have to pay your employees.
Personally,
I am not interested in making a lot of money.  I already make enough to
buy
what I want.  It is more important to have free time to pursue my
interests.
AGI, especially language, is one of my interests.  But I don't want to
build
something aimlessly like Cyc.  I would like to see an application, a
goal in
which progress can be measured.  I currently use text compression for
this
purpose.  Do you have a better idea?