On Jul 9, 2017, at 9:50 PM, Nic Evans <nich...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I point my finger at CB for failure to treat Agora Right Good Forever.
>
> I previously deregistered because I thought my explosive response to CB
> was my own issue, that e needed time to adjust, and I needed time to
> cool off. But I'm now convinced that's not the case. Everything CB does
> disrespects the time, effort, and feelings of every other player.
>
> I challenge people who are on the fence about this to point to a single
> time that CB has considered other players, or done necessary work, or
> done anything at all to make the game better or more enjoyable to anyone
> but emself.

I’ll note that it’s not obvious that Rule 101 (“The Game of Agora”) can be
broken. The relevant clause is:

> **Please** treat Agora Right Good Forever.

(Emphasis mine.)

However, game tradition takes this “Please” as a constraint, and not a polite
request, and I abide by that tradition.

CFJ 3383 provides strong guidance on interpreting r. 101. Fool allegedly
violated r. 101 by purporting to deregister all other players, and by
subsequently locking them out of the game. GUILTY on judgement, unresolved on
appeal, and apparently still assigned to Walker, woggle, and Wooble. (Right
Honourable Arbitor, you may wish to resolve this.)

The Honourable Judge Ienpw III found against Fool on this basis, cited from CFJ
3107:

> I would say that the test on whether an act violates the "right good forever"
> clause is whether the act is BOTH (a) truly ethically, and morally repugnant,
> or against the spirit of nomic as a whole and (b) something that the actor
> has maliciously foreseen could lead directly and immediately to Agora's
> effective and irrecoverable demise as a nomic.

This is an extremely high bar. While Cuddlebeam has been the object of broad
reproach, I remain unconvinced either that eir poor conduct is ethically and
morally repugnant, or that it is so extreme as to foreseeably lead directly and
immediately to Agora’s demise as a nomic.

Extensive use - some might even say abuse - of the Call for Judgement system to
test abstruse philosophical matters, rather than to resolve bona fide gameplay
disagreements, will inevitably have a chilling effect on playing Agora. So will
attempting to perform actions clearly contrary to the spirit of the rules,
using frankly perverse interpretations of those rules. If players cannot be
sure that the rules mean what they appear to mean, and if gameplay is delayed
to account for the positioning of angels on pinheads rather than to determine
how to apply the rules to situations actually before us, eventually, play will
be too onerous for all but the most determined player.

However, the chilling effect of these actions is neither immediate nor direct,
and it does not inevitably lead to the demise of Agora or to its conversion to
a non-nomic. I believe a resolution to these issues lies within reach of the
current rule-making system, and need not be achieved through Cards.

Accordingly, I find this finger-pointing to be Shenanigans.

-o