Hi Michael:

Just a clarification. If you are referring to IEEE 802.1X with 1x , then I have
to say that IEEE 802.1X is not EAP but it is using EAP. More specifically, IEEE
802.1X is an EAP lower-layer. More comments inline.

> El 16 ago 2016, a las 15:27, Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>
> escribió:
>

> Toerless Eckert <eck...@cisco.com> wrote:
>> 1. We did earlier in Anima investigate if/how we could/should use EAP
>> to perform ANIMA bootstrap. It turned out that transporting all the
>> desired key-infrastructure bootstrap messages across EAP would have
>
> There are two other key issues with the 1x-architecture of supplicants,
> authenticators and authorization servers (AS).
>
> The architecture usually looks like: (nice picture at:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1X )
>
> S<--EAP-TLS over EAP over 1x/PANA->Authenticator<--EAP-over-radius-->AS
>
> The problem with this architecture is that it:
>  a) always creates state on the authenticator

[Rafa] How do you perform an authentication exchange otherwise? Unless you are
thinking something like Kerberos where the KDC is stateless.

>  b) requires a secure relationship between Authenticator and Radius Server.
>  (a radius secret, and an entry in the Radius Server's client table)

[Rafa] I think we should talk about AAA server in general because other
protocols as Diameter can be used. Moreover the authenticator has to have a
secure relationship with the next hop AAA server (AAA proxy) not with the
(home) AAA server. Hence, the scalability.

>  c) And we'd then have to run EST over the EAP/TLS connection, and do it
>     not with the radius server, but with the Registar.

[Rafa] That is why I mentioned that, perhaps, the assistance of the EAP
lower-layer (e.g. CoAP) could help with this task.

> (a) is a cost to absorb.
> (b) could be mitigated by changing the Authenticator to really be:
>
>   Authenticator . o O ( <Proxy>-----EAP-over-GRASP---<Registar> )
>
> and having no radius server at all.

[Rafa] That is called in EAP: EAP Stand-Alone authenticator.

>   Of course, having got rid of that
> compoennt, the commonality with the various 1x infrastructures is really
> non-existant.  All we've done is introduce EAP fragmentation (and code paths)
> in a place where it will get used only once.
>
> Instead, a good way to think about ANIMA bootstrap is that it's the way in
> which you get credentials which you can *then* use for 1x, if that's what
> your infrastructure wants.
>  Today, those credentials are distributed
> out-of-band.

[Rafa] Precisely this is the kind of separation we are proposing in our work
for IoT bootstrapping.

Best Regards.

>   Seperating bootstrap from the 1x process not only simplifies
> the bootstrap process, but it also simplifies the 1x code base, as it doesn't
> have to figure out if the new pledge is trying to join the network, or trying
> to bootstrap.
>
> (I'm reminded of the Robert Frost poem about The Road Not Taken. Often
> it is thought to be about taking chances in life.  I tend to think that
> when it comes to security, that it's best not have divergent paths in code,
> unless both have regularly used test cases: "I doubted if I should ever come
> back")
>

> --
> Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>, Sandelman Software Works
> -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

Rafael Marin Lopez, PhD
Dept. Information and Communications Engineering (DIIC)
Faculty of Computer Science-University of Murcia
30100 Murcia - Spain
Telf: +34868888501 Fax: +34868884151 e-mail: r...@um.es