Toerless Eckert <eck...@cisco.com> wrote:
    > 1. We did earlier in Anima investigate if/how we could/should use EAP
    > to perform ANIMA bootstrap. It turned out that transporting all the
    > desired key-infrastructure bootstrap messages across EAP would have

There are two other key issues with the 1x-architecture of supplicants,
authenticators and authorization servers (AS).

The architecture usually looks like: (nice picture at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1X )

 S<--EAP-TLS over EAP over 1x/PANA->Authenticator<--EAP-over-radius-->AS

The problem with this architecture is that it:
  a) always creates state on the authenticator

  b) requires a secure relationship between Authenticator and Radius Server.
  (a radius secret, and an entry in the Radius Server's client table)

  c) And we'd then have to run EST over the EAP/TLS connection, and do it
     not with the radius server, but with the Registar.

(a) is a cost to absorb.
(b) could be mitigated by changing the Authenticator to really be:

   Authenticator . o O ( <Proxy>-----EAP-over-GRASP---<Registar> )

and having no radius server at all.   Of course, having got rid of that
compoennt, the commonality with the various 1x infrastructures is really
non-existant.  All we've done is introduce EAP fragmentation (and code paths)
in a place where it will get used only once.

Instead, a good way to think about ANIMA bootstrap is that it's the way in
which you get credentials which you can *then* use for 1x, if that's what
your infrastructure wants.  Today, those credentials are distributed
out-of-band.   Seperating bootstrap from the 1x process not only simplifies
the bootstrap process, but it also simplifies the 1x code base, as it doesn't
have to figure out if the new pledge is trying to join the network, or trying
to bootstrap.

(I'm reminded of the Robert Frost poem about The Road Not Taken. Often
it is thought to be about taking chances in life.  I tend to think that
when it comes to security, that it's best not have divergent paths in code,
unless both have regularly used test cases: "I doubted if I should ever come
back")

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-