https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/apertium-lex-tools/examples/rules.txt

https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/apertium-lex-tools/examples/rules.xml

> > > I would like to, as my next step, improve the rule compiler (at the
> > > moment there is a lot of string mangling that I think could be
> > improved
> > > on -- e.g. for holding the pattern lengths/ids), and support the XML
> > > format, but in order to do this, I would first like to get comments
> > on
> > > it. Is there anything that you would change? Do you feel comfortable
> > > writing rules in this format?
> > >

> > It might be better to ask next week, when GCI tasks have been sorted
> > and finalised. Split focus and so on.
>
> What a great idea! We could make some GCI tasks like "come up with X
> lexical selection rules for a language pair of your choice".

You'll want to rephrase that, significantly. GCI students are casually
browsing a list of titles so you should pick a title that doesn't rely on a
relatively obscure phrase - something that immediately informs them that
they probably already know this.

> I was also thinking of a GCI task to make a human interface to creating
> the rules (maybe web-based?), offering the user all the possible
> sentences, and asking them to mark them as "ok/not ok" and mark the
> "contextually important words". I can't think that it would be more than
> a couple of days work for someone with experience with PHP.

Nice idea. There are plenty of javascript draggy droppy things around, so
we could maybe also look for an interface to build basic transfer rules too.