Hi all,

I think the task

"find X rules for how to translate words with more than one possible
translation"

could be misunderstood as they could mixed lexical selection problems
with part-of-speech ambiguity problems. I see graduate students doing
so, every year.

Cheers
--
Felipe

El 16/11/11 15:20, Francis Tyers escribió:
> El dc 16 de 11 de 2011 a les 14:18 +0000, en/na Jimmy O'Regan va
> escriure:
>> On 16 Nov 2011 14:09, "Francis Tyers"<fty...@prompsit.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> El dc 16 de 11 de 2011 a les 14:02 +0000, en/na Jimmy O'Regan va
>>> escriure:

>> of

>> https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/apertium-lex-tools/examples/rules.txt

>> like:
>>>>>

>> https://apertium.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/apertium/branches/apertium-lex-tools/examples/rules.xml

>> the
>> XML
>> comments
>> comfortable

>> sorted
>>>
>>> What a great idea! We could make some GCI tasks like "come up with X
>>> lexical selection rules for a language pair of your choice".
>>>

>> You'll want to rephrase that, significantly. GCI students are casually
>> browsing a list of titles so you should pick a title that doesn't rely
>> on a relatively obscure phrase - something that immediately informs
>> them that they probably already know this.
>
> Yeah, how about: "find X rules for how to translate words with more than
> one possible translation" ?
>
>>> I was also thinking of a GCI task to make a human interface to
>> creating
>>> the rules (maybe web-based?), offering the user all the possible
>>> sentences, and asking them to mark them as "ok/not ok" and mark the
>>> "contextually important words". I can't think that it would be more
>> than
>>> a couple of days work for someone with experience with PHP.
>>
>> Nice idea. There are plenty of javascript draggy droppy things around,
>> so we could maybe also look for an interface to build basic transfer
>> rules too.
>
> Exactly, also, web 2.0 stuff is hip with the kids!
>
> Fran

Felipe Sánchez Martínez
Dep. de Llenguatges i Sistemes Informàtics
Universitat d'Alacant, E-03071 Alacant (Spain)
Tel.: +34 965 903 400, ext: 2966 Fax: +34 965 909 326
http://www.dlsi.ua.es/~fsanchez