Ray,

The information folks have given you is almost correct.

1) You are indeed going to need to edit the file ar.conf.  Specifically the
   line Db-password:

   You will notice that it is an encrypted string.  You will type in the
   CLEAR TEXT password.

2) Start the AR System server.  It will recognize that the value for
   Db-password is not encrypted and will try and use the value that is there
   as it is for the password.

   Since you have put in the correct password, all is OK.

So, far, everything is correct with the advice you were given.

Now is where there is another step....

3) The AR System server will not do anything to that password in the file.  So,
   the ar.conf file has a clear text password in it.

   You want to IMMEDIATELY go into the Server Information screens and change
   the password through the AR System to something new.  This will get an
   encrypted version of the new password in the file.

   If you really want it to be the same password, you can simply specify the
   same password as the new password (most DBs will allow this).  If there is
   a problem, just change it to something else, then change it back.

So, the information about how to get going is correct, you just need the final
step of changing the password through the AR System configuration interface to
get the password in ar.conf encrypted.

Doug Mueller