--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, traderdube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bikes and pedestrians on the boardwalk do not mix. It is a miracle
that
> no one has been injured.
> It is a disgrace that the people in charge of Asbury's boardwalk
and
> pavilions have done so little to enhance the boardwalk
> and it's pavilions to make Asbury even more attractive for
tourists and
> everyday beach goers than it already is. Instead, we have bikes on
the
> boardwalk at all hours and count them, 3 bars in full operation on
the
> boardwalk. I believe, and Werner can confirm or deny, that when
James

<asburycouple@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > It appears that between your reply and the one prior to it
there
> > are
> > > different points of view on just what was allowed and what has
> > > changed... So apparently others here are both misinformed and
> > > making incorrect assumptions, too.
> >
> > Points of view, Assumptions, etc, lead to bad conclusions.
> >
> > The facts are what they are - Biking is prohibited except from
6am to
> > 9am. Biking and pedestrian activities are incompatible, which is
the
> > reason for limiting bikes to certain hours. The Council is
moving to
> > extend those hours, not reduce them, as a compromise.
> >

> > > Bottom line is that I really think this is too bad. Unfortunate
> > for
> > > the town. This move eliminates something that was both highly
> > > desireable and differentiating for AP and just simply a lot of
> > fun.
> > > As a marketing professional I am truly amazed. We want people
> > > come back and check out AP then take away something that was
> > getting
> > > them here.
> >
> > As a marketing professional you really beleive that the economic
> > gains (if any) realized due to a handfull of bikers is more
> > significant than the safety of hundreds of pedestrians who are
> > visiting and spending money ?
> >
> > > What a pity. I am also kind of amazed that, with all of
> > > the things both important and sometimes silly that are debated
on
> > > this board, nothing was ever mentioned about this (forgive me
if I
> > > missed something). I for one will be complaining to Terry Reidy
> > and
> > > our Council.
> >
> > Complaining about what? They ae increasing the allowed hours.
> >
> > Werner
> >
> > As a side note - several tens of thousand dollars were recently
spent
> > to create "bike lanes" around town. They are not used except for
the
> > occational hard-core/spandexed/helmeted biker. I've seen about 6
in
> > the past six months. More wasted public funds and visual clutter
from
> > strips and signs.

Don't know who is on the current zoning board of adjustment, but it
would never have been approved on my watch!  The City is
accomodating those, whose interest THEY share and the rest of the
City that has complied with the zoning laws be DAMNED.  I personally
am not against biking, but if it's in the city's zoning laws, how
was it approved?  Okay, that said, the zoning laws should be
changed.  What about the allowance of 3 bars?  This used to be a
town, where the boardwalk, amusements and bathing ,were to promote
a "family" atmosphere.  With the influx of "transplants" from other
areas, the "newbies" want to FORCE the way REAL Asbury Park
residents lived, into THEIR "mindset"!  The HAVES, telling the HAVE-
NOTS, it's THEIR town, now! Give me a break!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/Y2tolB/TM