Re: Heroes cannot save everyone!

Hi Grryf.

I know what you mean about hero's rise being linniar, although i played it through only the once thus far. However, I disagree that your choices don't make a difference. Hero's rise I see rather more like an ff or Lone wolf style gamebook, sinse the choices you make are involved not with finding a completely different ending but with getting you through the the path without dying or using up your resources. Equally, while the over all narrative doesn't change in terms of events, you still do have various ways of accomplishing the same goal, it's thus a little more like an rpg, and as my problems with the second book show not always an easy one. broadsides and Dragon worked the same way, as does the not related Codename Cygnus, though neither had quite the management or required consistancy of the hero games.

Mecha ace I enjoyed but got very depressed when it turned out I'd cocked my game up so badlyspoilers ahoy!

I took choices to push into melee and piloting and became an awsome fighter, then I stood up to torture and lost my right hand, which took my piloting and melee down to nothing meaning I couldn't finish the game. The fact that the engineer who was my best friend and the bridge ensign who I'd come close to a relationship with both died at the battle of the jumpgate didn't help either, it was pretty grim all around though i can see things working differently next time.
I didn't actually realize sabers and mecha ace were the same author, funny that Choiceofgames didn't have sabers as one of their main titles.

As to the podcast idea, well I believe Trenton suggested it and I can see the point, particularly for people who aren't as familiar with how the choiceofgames work, sinse lets be honest Grryf lots of people don't really see much in text games, plus as I said it'd be good for new Iphone users.

I don't think I'd want to do one of the hosted games though for a first go, sinse probably if someone was new to the hole thing they'd be better off starting with the official Choiceofgames titles, so i'd probably choose one of those I'd not played before.