jhm731;161975 Wrote:
> How many DACs have you tested with the Transporter to reach this
> conclusion?

None - I don't have a TP.

> PhilNYC seems to think his Dodson DAC is better than the Transporter's
> DAC.
>
> Sleestack doesn't think it's total waste to use the TP as a transport.
> He uses TPs as transports in his systems.

The one thing which is totally obvious is that people's opinions of how
things sound vary tremendously, which means they are an extremely
unreliable guide.  Therefore I prefer to winnow down the number of
options I consider using logic and reason, and then go listen to it and
see if I like it, rather than rely on "so-and-so prefers such-and-such."

There are two possibilities for a TP connected to an external DAC (I'm
ignoring the wordclock option, which I agree is superior but requires a
very expensive DAC):

1) TP connected to a DAC which is immune to jitter (if you don't
believe such DACs exist move to option 2).  In this case the transport
is totally irrelevant sound-wise, so one should use the source which is
most convenient/cheapest/prettiest, which is probably not the TP.

2) TP connected to a non-jitter-immune DAC.
In this case the DAC is receiving a noisy signal, and therefore has an
additional disadvantage before it can even equal the TP.  Of course
there may be DACs out there that can do this, or that simply have
analogue stages that sound better to some people, but that would be the
exception rather than the rule.

--
opaqueice