pablolie;183728 Wrote:
> > ... Maybe you 'understand computers' but don't yet know of the
> > advances in DAW technology (shove a good audio interface on a
> > PC - and it's a DAW!) in fairly recent times?
>
> Oh geez. I do have a Creative Audigy connected to my silent, $4k built
> to order computer, you know. I use it to record myself (I am a hobby
> precussionist). The sound is fx-ish at best - spun out to please the
> gamers that want bass and treble and artificial fireworks. The bigger
> the subwoo the better etc.
>
> No, I don't buy into that theory at all. It may be 24 bits, it's still
> rubbish compared to the sound I'll get out of my CD player through my
> amplifier.
>
> A friend of mine has a professional studio. Audigy equipment he uses
> NOT. You want top end sound at that level, be willing to spend $50k
> plus in your reproduction chain - prior to getting anywhere close to
> your monitor speakers.

Well - if you have a Creative Audigy card, you're not really in a
position to bash computer sound reproduction. They are pretty awful.

If you read my post more carefully, you'll see some suggestions for
cheap sound cards that are much much better than the Audigy and compare
very well with CD players costing four times their price.

You certainly don't need to spend 50k to get good computer sound.
MOTU units only cost around £1000.

--
Codmate