jh901 wrote:
> Aren't you taking this "how do I know what I know" a little too far?  I
> have practical experience as an audiophile who simply wants to enjoy
> listening to recorded music which is exceptionally reproduced.  I'm not
> making the sort of claims which warrant academic scrutiny.

This would be another example of a claim that warrants academic
scrutiny;

"Besides, there is no hard scientific fact which proves that vastly
different materials and designs directly in the signal path do not
impact sound quality."

Actually there are exactly scientific facts that in total prove that a
wide range of different materials and designs directly in the signal
path have absolutely no effect on sound quality.

> I can 100% guarantee that I can discern my cable, in my system, from zip
> cord.

It is extremely probable that this alleged discernment is based on false
listening evaluations with the following scientific flaws:

(1) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not admissible because
they are not tests. That is, they do not involve comparison to a fixed,
reliable standard.

(2) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not admissible because
they involve excessively long switchover times, which makes them highly
susceptible to false negatives because they desensitize the listeners.

(3) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not admissible because the
do not involve proper level matching, which makes them highly
susceptible to false positives because people report the level
mismatches as sonic differences.

(4) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not admissible because
they do not involve listening to the identical same piece of music or
drama within a few milliseconds, creating false positives because people
report the mismatched music as sonic differences in the equipment.

(5) Audiophile Sighted Casual Evaluations are not admissible because
they constantly reveal the true identity of the UUTs to the listener,
creating false positives because people report their prejudices and
preconceived notions as sonic properties of the equipment