Julf wrote:
> Unfortunately that is a somewhat unscientific thing to say. We are back
> to Theory of Knowledge 101 - "How do I know what I know?".
>

> No, of course not - but if you are going to make claims, or challenge
> statements by people who actually have not only the scientific and
> engineering knowledge, but also the actual empirical data, then yes, you
> should bring some actual data to the table.

Aren't you taking this "how do I know what I know" a little too far?  I
have practical experience as an audiophile who simply wants to enjoy
listening to recorded music which is exceptionally reproduced.  I'm not
making the sort of claims which warrant academic scrutiny.

Julf wrote:

> Depends on whet your hobby happens to be. If you want to actually
> understand how sound reproduction technology works, then you have to
> accept that technology is based on science, and realize that you have to
> apply science when discussing it.

I'm more interested in the sound quality.  I listen to music and I
strive for it to sound better.  If there is a design flaw in the
engineering, then sure, I'll want to know about it.  I spend several
hours/wk listening to my main system and the last thing I'm thinking
about is how great the science is.  My recent posts several pages back
were on-topic and sadly it has not yet been possible to calmly and
respectfully discuss the topic of digital players today.

Is it wrong to think that you or a few others might actually sit in
front of a stereo and actually have a reaction to the fidelity?
Wouldn't there be merit to your description of what was heard,
irrespective of the inability to scientifically attribute what was heard
to one component or another?  How would your view change if you listened
to music on my system only to find that the experience was far more
engaging than you could have imagined?

Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 |
Focal Diablo Utopia III
__Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for
speaker & sweet spot position
__Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series
power cords and power conditioning