arnyk wrote:
> This is a place I've been many times, so I've had the opportunity to
> think it through.
>
> The usual purpose of a listening test is to determine whether there is
> an audible difference. Not being particularly naive, we know that
> various forms of imperections and reproduction errors may exist at
> various levels in real world audio gear, and that their audibility under
> various conditions are not necessarily known. They may be audible, they
> may not.
>
> Therefore any presumed rule that an ABX test should ONLY be entered into
> if a difference is identified would be illogical and very inhibiting to
> the pursuit of Science.
>
> Many options are provided for the listener in ABX, but which ones he
> uses are ultimately up to him and/or the one who organizes the
> experiment.
> This the lie that is at the core of your position - you know that
"trained listeners" are an essential element for any blind test to be
successful - it's specified in the ITU BS.116 guidelines for blind
testing. The training element is a sighted process. I gave jh901
"advice" not to overlook this training aspect & the examples I gave
examples of real ABX tests which further emphasise how essential such
isolation & identification of specific audible factors are crucial for a
useful & valid ABX test.

> A and B do provide the potential of a sighted evaluation, but you have
> already been privy to a number of discussions where it was said that the
> listener "ran the X's" and did not refer to A or B, right?Completely
> immaterial to how to properly conduct an ABX test when
testing for anything other than grossly audible differences