artee wrote:
> An interesting result. It appears that the tester can reliably identify
> a difference, but of what - given that the 24/192 hi-res was upsampled
> from the 16/44 lo-res. Full marks to the tester for doing an ABX and
> publishing the results, though.

Yes, indeed a very interesting result and great that he took the time to
run the ABX. As you suggest, we have to be careful what the result
actually means of course. Remembering that this is 16/44 played back
natively by the RME Babyface vs. a 24/192 -upsample- using SoundForge
10. -The source content is the same so there is no actual real detail
being added or subtracted like an ABX of an original 24/192 vs. a
downsample.-

So basically, the ABX demonstrates that for the Babyface, feeding 24/192
data seems to result in a sound the tester prefers and can differentiate
compared to essentially the same data fed as 16/44. Alternatively, maybe
the SoundForge upsampling algorithm results in a better sound.

We don't know which of the above is closer to the truth due to more than
1 variable being manipulated in the experiment - different hardware
playback modes, effect of specific software upsampling.

Also, we do not know if other variables may be affecting the blind test
- are there any visual cues when hi-res data is being fed to the device?
Does the device "click" or emit some unique signature with samplerate
change? Do we know if native 16/44 playback results in the exact same
volume output as when fed 24/192?

Ultimately, nice post though we really have to think about just how
generalizable the findings may be since we're not sure of the variables
that could bias the result like those above... It is good to read about
the subjective quality the tester used to differentiate though.

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.