There is, most certainly good evidence for the effectiveness of supervision as
a driving risk mitigation approach, and quite a lot of it (speaking as a road
safety researcher). That's one part of what's been behind the evolution of the
modern Australian graduated driver licensing system - more time supervised,
restrictions to reduce amount of time in statistically high-risk situations
(e.g. driving after midnight, driving with a bunch of mates in the car, etc
etc.)

As someone with a background in road safety (and novice driver safety in
particular), and also as a recently-solo glider pilot, I personally have no
problem with the system of frequent checks and lots of instructor support for
less experienced pilots such as myself. Is it useful for more-experienced
pilots? I don't know, but if we compare the accident rate for gliders with the
GA accident rate, how do we compare? I suspect our
check-flights-and-instructors system does help reduce some kinds of accidents,
particularly for newer pilots and those who haven't flown for a while. Does it
help for the others? No clue.

Teal