To balance Harry.

We will always be exposed to gliders that will spin. Not just old types.
And in particular, Europeans love their aerobatics and a fundamental
requirement for any true aerobatic aircraft is that in be spin capable.
Many manoeuvres (more than 20%) incorporate components of the spin
sequence. So both old and many new types will spin now and into the future.

Having identified this continuing risk requires us to train for it.
Therefore we had better have spin capable training aircraft available as
and when required.

Many of us have witnessed accidents where the solo rated pilots have
allowed airspeed do fall to dangerous levels. None of these pilots actually
expected this to happen to them. They had the same training with regard to
safe speed near the ground. In most cases one would have to agree that
these accident pilots were under increasing pressure for various reasons.
It is human to make mistakes, particularly when a plan is falling apart.

Most of us are amature pilots who do not maintain recency. Now put us in a
spin capable aircraft where circumstances in the circuit line up against us
and it might be good for the average pilot to also be spin current. Loss of
airspeed and or mishandling has been a causal factor in every spin
accident. But the final outcome could still have been prevented with
correct incipient spin recovery (read insignificant height loss) and as a
last resort spin recovery. (More height loss depending mainly on pilot
technique/currency)

Hence the need for spin prevention training, BACKED up by incipient and
spin recovery training.

I put it to you that a winch site as described does not do enough spin
training. The same can be said of clubs with inadequate training aircraft.
Aircraft that need special contraptions fitted are included here because
they are not spin capable for almost all their flying training due to the
severe limitations imposed on them. Therefore they are rarely spin capable
when the instructor would like to take advantage of the actual conditions
right now to keep his student CURRENT. Most of us are only current
immediately following an annual check. Others might hold onto currency by
purposely spinning when the opportunity presents.

Most of our pilots are scarred of spins. For some, this is good because
they will never enter a spin inadvertently. Some of these pilots will never
be efficient at thermalling though because they are just to reluctant to
test the boundaries required to thermal efficiently. Other pilots in this
category remain good safe pilots because they remain current so they
recognise safe margins on their personally reduced boundaries.

But we all need to face our fears and know how to recover from an
inadvertent spin. That is not going to be easy if we only practice spin
recovery once a year where the checking instructor is often pressured to
accept minimum standards.

To stay safe in this regard;
Maintain safe speed near the ground
Recognise conditions all conditions leading to incipient and full spin.
When all this fails you for any reason, know your incipient and if
required, full spin recovery techniques.

Keep it real and Stay current.

PS. To those who think the DG1000 takes more height to recover from the
ensuing dive than other types mentioned. You actually achieve flying speed
earlier due to a lower zero 'g' drag factor and any speed increase rate in
the recovery should be contained by playing 'g' against speed to minimise
height loss. This 'full' recovery technique needs to be taught as it
applies to all types. To pass, my students never exceed 70kts in our
DG1000; similar to the Puchacz. The ASK21 is rarely used due to the time
delay in fitting the complicated tail boom weights and checking the reduced
CofG range. No other aerobatic are allowed with the weights fitted.
Additionally, the spin entry is not assured or it will often recover on its
own accord before the spin fully develops. Invariably, more height is lost
for the required training. At least that is my experience but I do stay
spin current on our training aircraft and in my Cirrus.