Robert Fenk wrote:
> On Sunday, August 5 2001 02:30:59, Ronan Waide wrote:

>> What I think needs to be done is for bbdb-elided-display
>> to go away (or be replaced with some aliasing and a bunch
>> of warnings to say it /will/ go away), and be replaced
>> with a combination of your code and the elided-display
>> functionality under something like bbdb-displayed-fields-*
>> and bbdb-one-line-display-*.

I hate changing names just for the sake of changing names.

> Your are right, bbdb-one-line-display-* is much better than
> *elided*, at least in my eyes.

This I might agree with, since the t/list seems like its being
overloaded a little too much.  However, having two different variables
makes the interactive weird.  Namely, the variable with the list of
fields is unused if we are in single-line mode.

All in all, I like the idea of having one variables.

> o.k. so how about renaming the other variables to
> bbdb-multi-line-display-*?

> bbdb-one-line-display-fields (bbdb-elided-display-fields)
>       list of fields which should be displayed in one-line display

This is the exact opposite of the -elided- version, and a bad choice.
If I add a new field interactively, I now need to add that field to
this variable.  This is like something that I will not remember.

Anyway, how do I specify that I want to see everything?  With a nil?
Remember that a nil is just an empty list, so nil is the only way to
say that I want to see nothing but the name.

In general, using -elided- style is easier, since if I see something
that I don't want to, I can just add it to my list.  However, I would
never know that I am not seeing something that I would like to.

> How about theses warnings of name/functionality changes
> should they go into the code (warn/compile) or the
> documentation?

See `make-obsolete-variable'.

--
Colin