Gavin> I really like Perl, but lately everywhere I seem to go and talk
Gavin> to say I shouldn't be learning Perl as it's old and Python is
Gavin> better.

Perl is more powerful.  Python is simpler.  Python is for people
who don't want to master a language -- just use it casually.

However, if you're gonna spend two or more hours a day hacking code,
Perl is definitely the right place to be.  Still.

Those Python weenies are all just casual programmers complaining
that for Perl, "with great power comes great responsibility".  Let'em.

Perl's support only grows.  I used to be able to follow the CPAN "new
modules list" by examining the daily run at search.cpan.org/recent.
But no more.  Look at all the new modules just in the past *seven*
days.  (It's typically a full web page for each day!) If that doesn't
show you an intense activity in the Perl community, I really don't
know what else I could show you.

Ask your Python friends where such a similar list exists. :)

Python may be newer, but Perl is more mature, and here to stay.

Remember "new coke", and how long we had that. (If you're old enough
to remember that fiasco.)