erland;496047 Wrote:
> So you are suggesting that they ought to build a media center solution
> and compete with Microsoft MCE, MythTV, MediaPortal and similar products
> ?

basically, yes.  it should be hardware that does not need a computer,
(but could work wih one), think tivo but better.  (tivo is terrible at
music btw, and requires a computer for music, router, etc)

erland;496047 Wrote:
> Or did you just added that last "and record video inputs like mythtv"
> part for fun ?

ha, why wouldn't i be serious?

erland;496047 Wrote:
> If you really are talking about a media center solution, it's a VERY
> LONG road and it really needs a LOT more resources and it something
> TOTALLY different to what Logitech is used to do.

i'm not so sure its that big a deal.  logitech wasn't used to slim type
devices when it bought slim.  its "logitech jukebox" was simply goofy by
comparison, altho it did have a neat color remote.  vortexbox has most
of it down audiowise, and they're no big player.  logitech could buy the
rights to mythtv or something similar and put that on a linux server box
they sell with SBS and other apps.  they could combine the apps later,
or not.  i think the main kernel of my idea is that logitech figure out
how to monitize the server as hardware, as well as make it more
versatile.

erland;496047 Wrote:
> IMHO, it's also something that no one has succeeded to do really well.

exactly why the opening is still there for logitech.  whats so
frustrating about all of the options available today, is that nothing
does it all the way you'd think its obvious something should.

tivo is to me almost perfect in its handling of TV.  but it isn't great
at local video, net video (altho it can do some net v good), nor can it
rip anything, or burn anything, and it isn't great at sharing among
other tivo boxes.

my point is i should be able to say:

audio, video, anywhere i want it, (via client box or combo box).  rip,
burn, on the server box or combo box.  local and remote storage
available to all clients.  those should be the main goals imo, and
nothing today is doing all that, just bits and pieces.

a sampling:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=484&N=2050130484&SpeTabStoreType=5

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/NetworkStorage

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/Video

http://www.apple.com/appletv/

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=27898&N=4294966114

and lots more i'm not linking.

whats interesting is how many more there arethat do SO MUCH MORE, MORE
EASILY, and CHEAPER, than what slims stuff can do.  again, i see the HQ
part as the only thing currently that keeps me with slim for now, and
that could easily change.  and even so, that alone makes it a niche item
for audiophile-ish types.  if i'm logitech, i see that as a big problem,
how can it gain marketshare when it costs more, and does less, and is
harder to use?

erland;496047 Wrote:
> Also, I really can't see the similarities compared to the current
> Squeezebox products.

thats odd, i can't not see them.  ;)  even in a combo box, there's
still a server/client relationship.  you could have multiple clients
supported by one server.  and on and on...

--
MrSinatra

www.lion-radio.org
using:
sb2 & sbc (my home) / sbr (parent's home) - sbs 7.4.2b - win xp pro sp3
ie8 - p4(ht) 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - 1tb wd usb2 raid1 - d-link dir-655 -
35k mp3