erland;496104 Wrote:

> Unfortunately the only media center product that isn't more geeky than
> SBS is Microsoft MCE and that won't run on the same machine as
> Vortexbox, since Vortexbox is based on Linux and Microsoft MCE only runs
> on Windows.
>
> MythTV requires a lot of configuration before it will work. I also
> think Logitech would have to spend a lot of resources to pre-configuring
> the software to make it usable for the mass market, I'd also imagine
> that they'd have to spend a lot of resources to support it becase MythTV
> is definitely not ready for mass market usage. It works very good for TV
> and video after you have configured it, but it's not easy to get there
> and even then the user interface is somewhat geeky.
>
> I've not much personal experience with the other Linux based media
> center solutions like LinuxMCE and VDR. I've tried to setup VDR and
> failed and I suspect LinuxMCE isn't that easy to setup either. From what
> I've seen regarding their user interface both seems a bit geeky.
As a happy user of both Slim/Logitech gear and SageTV media center with
HD-200 media extender, I had a dream once that one would buy another and
create a merged product. Sage is cross-platform commercial PVR/media
center solution, and the only one that has hardware extenders so far. I
understand there would be numerous challenges to that, but as an
end-user I would love this idea!

--
ymilner