On Wednesday 10 October 2007 01:20:31 pm Chuck Rhode wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the ancient history of BLFS, but it seems to me
> there might be room for three products:
<snip>

I'm also not familiar with the history or the discussions surrounding the
current format(s), but what it seems you're asking for is instructions on how
to create an entire distribution. I think the aims of the (B)LFS project is
to get us started, to show us the basics - not make choices for us.

> BLFS-Part-One should contain, in the best judgment of its developers,
> those pieces that nearly everyone will need:
<snip>

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/introduction/which.html

>From the first paragraph:
Unlike the Linux From Scratch book, BLFS isn't designed to be followed in a
linear manner. This is because LFS provides instructions on how to create a
base system which is capable of turning into anything from a web server to a
multimedia desktop system. BLFS is where we try to guide you in the process
of going from the base system to your intended destination. Choice is very
much involved.

It appears the BLFS developers don't want to make that call. It's a lot of
work, and the number and types of users involved would require many
discussions deciding what is considered "required". However, it appears that
all the instructions are already written, so perhaps there could be an
alternative html index(s) which sequentially walk a user through the steps to
a specific goal? Perhaps a hint (there may even be one out there).

Trent.