On 16 Oct 2007, at 21:25, Andrew Crystall wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2007 at 21:09, William T Goodall wrote:
>
>> On 16 Oct 2007, at 20:43, Andrew Crystall wrote:
>>

>>> Most mobile phone companies take the battery back now, and indeed
>>> give you a steep discount on a new one if you hand them the old one
>>>

>> Cite.
>>

> Quite apart from reading your carrier's returns policy (assuming you
> don't have the non-returnable battery in the iPhone of course...),

I have a pay as you go O2 and there is nothing on their site about
giving me a discount on batteries that I can see. If it is there it
is so well hidden that it might as well not be there as far as my
decision making goes. And they appear to want to take my whole phone
for recycling.

> there are dedicated services like http://www.fonebak.com/

They take whole phones, not batteries, and there's nothing at all on
that site about discounts or refunds.

>>> Having an internal
>>> battery glued in means you can't carry a spare (making it unsuitable
>>> for still further usage), and drastically increases the price of the
>>> battery to the consumer.
>>>

>> I have never heard of anyone carrying a spare battery for their phone
>> ever. If there are such people they are so few that catering to their
>> needs would be ridiculous for any sensible manufacturer.
>
> ...?
>
> People carry spare batteries for electrical equipment, including
> mobiles, all the time. I keep a spare, charged mobile battery in my
> backpack.

That makes you the first person I've ever heard of in my life who
claims to do that. I did grant there were a few of you.

>>> It's precisely the same thing as Music DRM - it's assumed the
>>> customer cannot make choices about what he wants,
>>>

>> DRM isn't about choice.
>
> And neither is the iPhone.

It's the best choice :-)

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Aerospace is plumbing with the volume turned up." - John Carmack