On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

> At 05:40 PM Tuesday 10/16/2007, Julia Thompson wrote:
>>
>>   I'm almost tempted to see if I can get a
>> second phone that takes the same kind of battery just to use as a charger.
>

> You can buy at various places either (or both) (1) a single-use
> backup battery in a case about the size of an old-fashioned (uses
> fluid rather than butane) cigarette lighter and has a plug on top
> which fits into the charging jack on your phone (they make different
> ones of different brands of phone, and I've seen them for sale at
> convenience stores) or (2) a device which similarly plugs into the
> charging jack but takes (various models) 2 or 4 standard AA or AAA
> batteries.  I've also seen at some of the local W**-M*** stores which
> you mention below one of those hand-cranked emergency flashlights
> which in addition to a radio and some of the other features often
> included on such lights has a wire coming out of it which you can
> plug into your cell phone's charging jack to charge the phone's
> battery when you turn the crank.  (According to the package after you
> buy the flashlight you contact the company and tell them what model
> phone you have and they will send you the plug which fits your phone for
> free.)

I have one of those things that takes 2 AA batteries for charging my
phone.  (The cigarette lighter in my car doesn't work and I found myself
needing to charge my phone one day well away from home.  Fortunately,
Target carries those things....)

>> (There may be some available for as little as $40 at my favorite grocery
>> store; it's my favorite grocery store because if I really wanted to, I
>> could buy a limited selection of power tools there at midnight,
>

> Frex, a power saw (and some trash bags) in case someone (note that I
> am presuming that you personally would probably not find yourself in
> this situation) had committed multiple homicide and needed a quick
> solution to the three-body problem?

That hadn't occurred to me in the slightest, and for thorough disposal,
you also want pool chemicals or something, so Wal-Mart may be a better
bet.

I'm thinking more like "desperately needing a cordless drill and your
schedule doesn't allow you go to to Home Depot very often".

>>  and the
>> ownership isn't out to screw everyone else as badly as Wal-Mart seems to
>> be.)
>>
>>         Julia
>

> Which store would this be?  (I'm wondering if I'm thinking of the
> right chain which I've encountered elsewhere.   Answer off-list (or
> not at all) if you wish.)
>

> -- Ronn!  :)

HEB.  I'm not sure you would have encountered it....

        Julia