At 05:40 PM Tuesday 10/16/2007, Julia Thompson wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, William T Goodall wrote:
>[snip and hope I left the attributions right]

> >> ...?
> >>
> >> People carry spare batteries for electrical equipment, including
> >> mobiles, all the time. I keep a spare, charged mobile battery in my
> >> backpack.
> >
> > That makes you the first person I've ever heard of in my life who
> > claims to do that. I did grant there were a few of you.
>
>My previous phone had batteries for which a desktop charger was available.
>I kept one charged as a spare and never ran into the
>phone-totally-out-of-juice problem (except for once or twice when I forgot
>to take the charged spare with me).  My current phone does not have this
>option, because the manufacturer thinks it's a weird thing to want, and it
>annoys the crap out of me.

One of the primary reasons many people give for having a cell phone
(*the* primary reason for some of them) is for use in emergencies
when frex their car quits running when they are miles from
anywhere.  Depending on where it happens and the time of night it
happens it may take awhile to get hold of someone with a tow truck
who is available and willing to come out there, or whatever help you
need in the situation.  Also, depending on the particular problem,
you may not be able to use the charger plugged into the lighter
socket, frex if the problem is electrical in nature or the problem is
one which forces you to abandon the vehicle (frex it catches on fire
or rolls into a lake).  Then of course there is the example from last
month of the woman who was trapped in her vehicle after it went off
the road and down into a ravine who was found after she had been
there for 8 days in part because they were able to locate the signal
from her cell phone (see, frex,
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-09-28-washington-woman_N.htm).
Having extended battery life so you can keep using it would likely
also be helpful if you were frex hiking somewhere with cell service
and fell and were injured and needed help (back in the late 80s
before cell phones were available a guy I knew from the local SF
groups was hiking in one of the canyons near Provo when that happened
to him.  They did not find him in time to rescue him but when they
did they said that he had probably lived for some time lying there
after falling.  He wasn't far from town and the area is a popular
place for an afternoon hike, so these days he probably would have
been able to call for help if he had had a cell phone, or searchers
could have used it to locate him similarly to the way the Washington
woman was finally found), or if a storm or earthquake or other
disaster knocks out your power and/or landline phone service for
several days or causes you to have to evacuate, etc. . . .

>   I'm almost tempted to see if I can get a
>second phone that takes the same kind of battery just to use as a charger.

You can buy at various places either (or both) (1) a single-use
backup battery in a case about the size of an old-fashioned (uses
fluid rather than butane) cigarette lighter and has a plug on top
which fits into the charging jack on your phone (they make different
ones of different brands of phone, and I've seen them for sale at
convenience stores) or (2) a device which similarly plugs into the
charging jack but takes (various models) 2 or 4 standard AA or AAA
batteries.  I've also seen at some of the local W**-M*** stores which
you mention below one of those hand-cranked emergency flashlights
which in addition to a radio and some of the other features often
included on such lights has a wire coming out of it which you can
plug into your cell phone's charging jack to charge the phone's
battery when you turn the crank.  (According to the package after you
buy the flashlight you contact the company and tell them what model
phone you have and they will send you the plug which fits your phone for free.)

>(There may be some available for as little as $40 at my favorite grocery
>store; it's my favorite grocery store because if I really wanted to, I
>could buy a limited selection of power tools there at midnight,

Frex, a power saw (and some trash bags) in case someone (note that I
am presuming that you personally would probably not find yourself in
this situation) had committed multiple homicide and needed a quick
solution to the three-body problem?

>  and the
>ownership isn't out to screw everyone else as badly as Wal-Mart seems to
>be.)
>
>         Julia

Which store would this be?  (I'm wondering if I'm thinking of the
right chain which I've encountered elsewhere.   Answer off-list (or
not at all) if you wish.)

-- Ronn!  :)