> Brian  wrote:
> So for it to be racism, race has to be the ONLY factor?

It's racism when race is considered above all other factors.

For example, if I'm an admissions officer and have one spot for 2
students who are equally qualified, but I choose to admit the black
kid, because he's black and we don't have many black kids, that's NOT
racism.

If, however, I have one spot and one qualified student, but refuse to
admit him because solely because he's white, then that IS racism.
I've decided that race is more important than ANY other factor.

That's why AA is NOT racism - race is only one factor that's secondary
to other factors.  Minimum qualifications must be met before AA kicks
in.