I have a degree in Art History and African Cultural Studies, and then
I fell into a job with UW-Extension doing Youth Development work. It
was low pay with a lot of nights and weekends. Meanwhile, our website
sucked and I realized that there was a lot of potential there to do
stuff like have an FAQ, so I didn't have to answer the same questions
20 times a day. The unit I'm in now offered a class on using Netscape
to do web pages. I took it. Then, I had a coworker/friend that was
working in the unit suggest I learn ColdFusion. So, I got a book and
started teaching myself. I sweet-talked my way into direct FTP access
to the server and wrote a calendar and FAQ app for our county website.
A couple of new jobs opened up - one designer & one developer. They
were short term jobs - 3 years - with an option for permanency. I
hated my current job and thought what the heck. So, I applied for
both, knowing full well I was only marginally qualified for either.
The head dude of the unit at the time was this really eccentric guy
that looked more at what a person's potential is than what their
current skill set is, and he liked that I'd been to Africa and had a
"weird" background and such. So, he hired me. I spent those first 2
years cramming as much info into my head as possible about interactive
television, until that part of the project appointment failed, but
another unit picked us both up as permanent employees and the rest is
history.