> What I find interesting about this thread is that how few actually started out
> in CS and in this industry. Most it would seem came in from elsewhere. It
> suggest to me that part of the very interesting nature of this community is
> its diversity of interests and backgrounds.

I went into the Navy as an Avionics technician, got out and got my
degree in Electronics Engineering Technology with a minor in Computer
Science.  Most of the good programming instructors I've had (and
known) started in Electronics.

Then again, I also do other things... all of them classified as "geek"
by most, including playing tuba in a fire company band and enjoying
odd poetry.

I got into web because someone offered me a job doing it while I was
in college; CF was the platform they wanted to use.  I've been hooked
ever since.

Hatton