Ah, there are issues with the pipeline route too? I assumed the concerns
were around the extraction process. Cause this is tar-sand oil, right?

Noted, then, though the main point I was trying to make was even if you
don't believe the problem is some sort of attempt at responsible
stewardship -- which I assume Sam does not -- then it is still unclear to
me that there's a calculation over votes. A lot of voters could be swayed
by the advertising a few oil industry donations could buy. Maybe more than
the number of voters who would be won over by not allowing the pipeline, is
what I am saying.

Cynicism may be rampant in this day and age, but I am not sure that even
the most amoral calculation would support blocking the pipeline for votes.
If not, gasp, there may have been policy reasons in play. Who knows ;)