I wrote some of what you've described for an internal application (a
prototype) for a company that I used to work for, my current company also
has a custom built tool for migration management.

I don't think it is unheard of at all.

I couldn't really recommend a commercial/open source solution for this
though, as I haven't had experience with any of them lately.

- Calvin