Scott,

I agree with what you wrote. The original poster seemed to be asking the
question from an employment standpoint. As I wrote earlier, anyone is
capable of learning anything, but having the ability to learn a skill and
actually possessing that skill are different states and have different
values to an employer. Most employers want someone who can be productive in
their first week, not someone who needs to be sent off to a training class
shortly after being hired.

Based on his other recent posts, I don't believe the original poster is a
computer programmer looking to learn a skill. I believe he is looking for
programmers to hire. If this is the case, as others have already suggested,
hiring a Java programmer, sending that person to a couple Fig Leaf classes
to learn CF, then pairing that person with an experienced CF developer for
their first project would be a good way to address the current shortage of
good CF programmers in various regions. Rhode Island (where the OP is), is
not a hotbed of CF talent, but it is surrounded by some of the world's best
universities that pump out a fresh crop of Java programmers every year.

-Mike Chabot