The person asking the question appears to be someone without much experience
in either language and is likely not a programming master with a 15 year
work history. In theory, anybody can lean anything. I could become a brain
surgeon if I really put my mind to it, but I don't think the original poster
was looking for "you can do it!" motivation.  If he tries to get a job doing
Java programming, I don't think anyone would hire him and put him through an
extensive training course. Most employers could easily find an inexperienced
new college grad that at least knows Java, considering that is what most
high schools and colleges teach.

I was saying the original statement is false since I would never trivialize
the effort needed to become proficient in Java. Becoming a good Java
programmer is not "easy," as the original statement was implying. It
involves a lot of hard work and takes years. A CF site might benefit from
adding in some Java code, but a Java-based Web site would never use CF code,
so the "work hand in hand" part of the statement false, since that statement
implies a benefit in both directions. Working "hand in hand" means both
technologies are closely linked and are used together, which is almost never
the case. I would estimate that around 1% of CF sites make use of
significant Java code and 0% of Java-based Web sites make use of any CF
code. I would agree that you can easily drop Java code into a  CF site, but
almost nobody does this in the current versions of CF since CF 9 provides
nearly every feature a Web site could need without having to extend it in
any significant way.

-Mike Chabot