A lot of us have mentioned that it is not usually just the raw
certification that gets the job, and in some cases, not even both
experience and the certification.

Even NRF has mentioned diversity is the key, but on top of that
people skills.  Lack people skills, you will find yourself not making
as much as you "could" be (within a reasonable degree considering
realistic opportunity costs).

As you mentioned as well, depending on the kind of job you are going
for and the politics involved around it, a certification may be
useful, experience may be useful, the people skills...there is a
whole plethora of things and all of the "importance" levels of each
requirement vary greatly for each job.

Basically, I do not think it is easy to make a full checklist of all
the things you need and if you do it, you will instantly get the job.
 It changes per job a lot.  Employers have different requirements and
goals.  I think at best we can leave it at that.

NRF is not saying diversity is not the key either, all he is saying
is that, considering all of those "requirements" that I mentioned,
NRF is saying that the CCIE alone will almost certainly never match
most of the jobs out there.

I am assuming NRF means such because he has not explicitly mentioned
otherwise.  All he said was, the CCIE alone is not enough.  I think
he responded to the "Linux vs CCIE" thread by saying how most should
know both, but not necessarily go all gung ho on the Linux cert.

> I'd say diversity is the key.  I know several CCIEs who, outside of R/S
> don't have much to offer in the way of skillset and they are not commanding
> as high of salaries as guys without a number but deeper and more diverse
> expertise.  It totally depends on the individual, the need, the location
and
> the experiences (which are unique to and every one of us).
>
> Will Gragido CISSP CCNP CIPTSS CCDA MCP
> Suite 325 9450 W. Bryn Mawr Ave.
> Rosemont, Il 60018
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]