douglas mizell wrote:
> not. I honestly cannot comment on the job market at home except
> to say it
> sounds dismal, if there really are CCIE's out there fighting
> over $35K jobs
> than to hell with this whole idea, open a taco stand.

Which is why a growing number of them are leaving the industry.  Without
naming names (I want to respect their privacy), I can now count in double
figures the number of CCIE's who have left the field for othe work.  Some
have gone back to being UNIX admins, which is what they had been doing
before they got into networks.  Some are in graduate school.  Some have
finished graduate school and are in entirely different fields - strategy
consulting, Wall Street, etc.  I know one who became a real-estate agent.

Invariably they all say the same thing, which is that while networks are
interesting, they gotta do what they gotta do to pay the bills, and if
networks aren't going to butter their bread, they have to find something
that will.  And in some cases, they butter their bread with Lurpak.  The guy
who's a real-estate agent now makes several times more than he ever made as
a network guy even during the dotcom boom.