Roger (I am assuming the same Roger from Securabyte Group),

>I've seen many tests as where the Juniper routers experience a lot of
>packet
>loss and a decrease in performance and reliability when the node is fully
>configured with a complete set of cards.  Each time a card is removed or
>added, there is downtime with traffic interruptions with the Juniper router
>trying to "catch up" with the changes.

Do you have a URL to these tests?  Or is this again, is this "what Cisco
says?"

>  If you talk with the Engineers at
>Juniper, they will tell you that scalability is their biggest problem with
>their M series routers.  You can run with a few, but they won't scale and
>you're not able to run a huge network with them without running into major
>problems.

That sounds fishy....Why would Juniper Engineers say that their products
won't scale?  Sounds more like something a competitor would say.

>It's very much true that Juniper owns 30% of the Enterprise market share
>and

You a little behind here.  That was the Dell'Oro Group's estimates for third
quarter of last year.  Their latest estimates say it's 34% of the Core (NOT
Enterprise).

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech/telecom/1314412.html

>I know tons of loyal Cisco
>powered ISPs were waiting for this breakthrough as well.

Tons?  Which ISPs are you refering to?  I tend to follow Howard B.'s belief
that most ISPs (in the core) use more than one vendor.  I talked to an
install engineer at uunet two weeks ago when I brought up a T1 for a remote
office.  I had a Cisco 2600 series on my side and I asked him what he had on
his side.  He said (as if I wouldn't know :-), "A big router, it's a Cisco
12000 series."  Then I asked him, "Do you use any Juniper stuff?"  He said,
"Yes, we use them in our core.  They are behind the 12000's."

>But I have to admit, Juniper does make some good stuff too (Lots of
>ex-Cisco employees migrated over to Juniper to work there).
The most important asset to a technology company is their intellectual
assets.  If their top employees (guys who wrote the BGP, OSPF, MPLS, ISIS,
etc. code) leave, they won't be able to replace them.

>But I'm partial to Cisco and their equipment

I can understand that.  Many people on this list have vested interest in
Cisco (both hardware and intellectual).  It would be terrible if our Cisco
skills were no longer marketable....but I don't think this will ever happen.
  Cisco still dominates the Enterprise.  Knowing how to configure Cisco
products will land you a nice paying job.  Knowing Juniper products will
land you a nicer paying job.  Knowing both Cisco and Juniper will land you
an even nicer paying job :-)