> I have
> had CCNA, CCNP, and yes even CCIE written folks who
> could not tell me what they 'should' acutally know.

Maybe it's just me, but comments like this have always bothered me,
regardless of whatever cert program we're talking about.

This might come off as a little stronger than I intend it to, but: who are
you to say what a CCxx should or should not know?  Some people seem to think
that because one has a cert, that they should have *the exact answer* to
*any* question you throw at them at the tips of their fingers.  Well,
unfortunately, this just isn't the case.

I wrote a post a while ago asking what a patch panel was.  I was a CCNA at
the time (I'm now a CCNP & DP), but at that time I didn't know what a patch
panel was.  Some people might have said "Well, a *true* CCNA would have
*known* what a patch panel was," but hey, guess what, the CCNA doesn't test
on patch panels.  Maybe you asked this CCxx something that was fair game on
the certification test, but they didn't get that question, or maybe they got
it and got it wrong, but got enough right to pass the test.

In other words, it sounds like you're saying that only people who get 100%
on the tests should be granted the certification.  And maybe you're right.
But Cisco makes the rules, and we play by them - if someone earns the cert,
then guess what, they've earned it.  Know what they call the doctor who
graduates at the bottom of his class?  "Doctor."  Deal with it.  If they're
just lucky or good test-takers and don't really know what they're doing,
it'll all come out in the end.

Who says what a CCxx should or should not know?  Cisco says.  They say you
need a certain percentage of a certain list of topics.  If you want to hold
a different standard, go right ahead.

BJ