I can't see the certification being devalued.  Cisco is constantly making
the test harder by adding more and more relevant items and removing those
that are not.  Plus, by forcing older CCIE's to keep current with the CCIE
Written is decertifying those that don't care and keeping the numbers from
growing too fast.

And, as you say, with the need for more and more folks at this caliber is
increasing, I don't think there will be any problem with the demand keeping
up with the increased supply.  Not if the AVVID thing takes off for one (and
it is, at least for us).  Our local county let their top PBX staff go and is
looking to implement VoIP (I don't know why they cut first and didn't get
the new system in place first, but government doesn't always make sense).
The question is, of course, who will win, 3Com, Nortel, or Cisco (our shop
actually does all 3, so we don't care so long as we win the bid, hehee).

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/625/ccie/ccie_program/ccie_present.html
Just checking the current numbers, they're not up that high - 5595 Active
CCIEs  (4992 as of 11/01/2000, up 137 since 4855 CCIEs as of 06/01/2000,
which was up 156 since 03/31/2000 at 4699).  That's only 896 new CCIEs in
year.  Granted, it sounds like a lot (~75/month), but compare that to the
MCSE numbers (which I'd love to see, especially with the new Win2k stuff
out).  Especially if you figure probably a third, if not more are Cisco
employees ;-p

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP+Security/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+
List email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]