"By reducing the number of people who are authorized to take the lab, the
waiting list for the lab will shrink"

I can't argue with this statement.  However, as explained below, I don't
think reducing the number of people authorized to take the lab is the
solution.

I'll say this once more, since no one has given me any feedback about this
opinion (which I've posted before):

The waiting list for the lab is longer now for 2 reasons:
1)  More people are attempting the CCIE than a year ago or before.....
2)  Cisco, in large part, is responsible for this backlog for the lab
because they have not created more lab exam locations to meet the rising
demand.  If anything, they have somewhat created this backlog because they
reduced the number of lab testing locations in North America from 3 to 2.
The act of reducing the number of testing locations by 33% (assuming demand
were constant, which I believe it has actually risen) would explain why the
2 remaining locations are overrun with applicants.

Given these two reasons, I'd like to hear feedback on whether or not people
agree that this explains the backlog.  Furthermore, I'd like to hear
comments on my assertion that, because these 2 things are mainly responsible
for the backlog, that the CCIE written and lab do not need modification
because their difficulty (or lack of on some people's opinion) is *not* the
cause of the backlog to begin with.

Comments are welcomed..... (begged for actually =)  Priscilla, Chuck,
Louie..... speak up =)

Mike W.

PS:  I think that making CCNA -> CCNP a prerequisite for even taking the
CCIE written would relieve some of the congestion in the waiting line for
the lab and create a more rounded CCIE candidate.  I knew from the beginning
that going for CCIE without CCNA/CCNP was an option, but I wanted a fuller
understanding of networking, so I chose to do CCNA/CCDA/CCNP/CCDP before
even attempting CCIE lab, so I could be a CCIE worthy the title.

"Craig Columbus"  wrote in message
> Kevin brings up a good point.  By reducing the number of people who are
> authorized to take the lab, the waiting list for the lab will shrink.  I
> think that it's time that Cisco bring the CCIE into the certification
track
> with the other certs.  Personally, I found the CCIE written to be rather
> easy compared to the CID exam.
> I don't think I'd let the CCNP/CCDP be the prerequisite however.  I think
> I'd rather keep the CCIE written qualifier as a separate, yet
progressively
> more difficult exam, perhaps by keeping the current content, but adding
> more questions relevant to today's large scale networks.  The new order of
> certification might be CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIE Written, each
> certification being a prerequisite for the next.
> I don't necessarily think that a change to the CCIE lab is in order,
mainly
> since I've heard that while the number of people taking (or waiting to
> take) the lab has increased, the passing rate has pretty much stayed the
> same.
>
> Craig
> At 04:35 PM 6/2/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >"This has somewhat lessened the difficulty of the process (as witnessed
by
> >the
> >backlog of people taking the lab after breezing through the written)."
> >
> >When the "junior certs" were introduced, it was pondered whether they
should
> >be a pre-requisite to the CCIE written or as I have read before - make
the
> >CCNP/CCDP the pre-requisite for the lab.
> >
> >On a FAQ at one time, Cisco said that "eventually" the CCIE would become
> >part of the career certification track which was to say that you would
need
> >to go through the junior certs before attempting the CCIE.
> >
> >With the onslaught of new study material, bootcamps, virtual racks et al,
> >think it is time that the CCIE written be retired and the CCNP/CCDP be
the
> >CCIE lab authorization.
> >
> >Or, because the CCIE written still has stuff that is not talked about
much
> >any more (if at all) in the current R/S curriculum, then a smaller CCIE
> >written to cover those topics but integrate it into the present career
> >track.  CCNA - CCNP/CCDP - CCIE Written - CCIE lab.
> >
> >This way, we could get rid of the idea of passing one exam and then
clogging
> >the calendar for the CCIE lab.  If you have to get from 4 - 7 exams
before
> >the lab, that would perhaps slow things down and maybe (just maybe)
increase
> >the success rate at the lab.
> >
> >Hopefully this would stave off any loss of respect for the cert and
perhaps
> >even increase it.
> >

> >Kevin Wigle

CCIE.
> > > The biggest employer of CCIE's is Cisco (by far) so they should
already
> >have
> > > an idea of what is needed.  Cisco has been respectful enough of the
CCIE