Your comment
"Now that the study materials have become available, it allows
> a candidate to be more focused on lab specific issues instead of on
routing
> and swicthing in general.  As a result a candidate can now pass the lab
> without having a decent broad knowledge of routing and switching, they
just
> need to know how to prepare for the lab.  That in my opinion has devalued
> the certification."

I agree, and I think shortening the lab to one day will mean that the
testing will have to be even more specific.  If you know anything can come
up on the lab, then you have to know everything, *unless* there is not
enough variety of exam, so a group of 3-4 candidates taking the exam
together may fail a couple of times, but by that time they know what all the
labs are. (Although I'm sure that doesn't happen - much).

A larger variety of labs would suppress this sort of thing. A shorter lab
can only increase the multiple attempt methodology (eventually I'll get one
I (we) know).

It looks like I may not be going to CCIE now, mainly due to the diversity of
products our company supports. I don't think I can concentrate enough on
Cisco. Even so, I would not like to see the CCIE devalued. Devalue the CCIE
and it automatically devalues the CCNP etc (rightly or wrongly).

Gaz

""Louie Belt""  wrote in message
> Yes you are wrong (about my perspective).  I have helped several engineers
> study for and pass the CCIE written as well as the lab.  My concern is in
> preserving the value of the cert. As for dog-eat-dog I'll help anyone who
is
> sincere and wants to learn - providing they are willing to put in the
> effort.  However, I will not "give them the answers" so that they can make
> the value of my cert less.
>
> Prior to so much study material being available, you had to study and know
> how to handle a wide array of issues, the specifics as to what is on the
lab
> were simply unknown and therefore you had to be prepared for anything -
and
> know it well.  Now that the study materials have become available, it
allows
> a candidate to be more focused on lab specific issues instead of on
routing
> and swicthing in general.  As a result a candidate can now pass the lab
> without having a decent broad knowledge of routing and switching, they
just
> need to know how to prepare for the lab.  That in my opinion has devalued
> the certification.
>
> If we have 100,000 CCIEs all of which know there stuff and are a credit to
> the certification then I have no problem with it.  It we have 8000 CCIEs
and
> 1000 of them can't live up to the expectations of the certification, then
it
> hurts the value not only of the other 7000, but also of any future
> recipients of the certification.
>
> I am not bitter or angry (thanks for jumping to conclusions) that the
study
> guides weren't around, some were when I received my cert and I certainly
> used them. I don't want them to go away.  I own many of the books written
by
> other CCIEs and use them as a reference quite often.  I am thankful they
are
> available. The materials that exist have the potential to help all of us.
My
> issue is simply one of "The CCIE certification should not be devaulued" -
> that is my chief concern and my reason for answering the survey the way I
> did.  The only reason I posted my response to the survey was because I was
> asked to do so.  I apologize if my opinions differ from yours and you are
> therefore offended.  It was not my intention to offend you.  You most
> certainly are entitled to your opinion and I don't expect to change your
> mind.
>

> Hope this clears things up a bit, otherwise we'll have to just agree to
> disagree.
>
> Louie

Were